Monday, January 19, 2015

Day 6: Don't mind me

Nothing much to say I guess. I'm dealing with this much better than I thought I would. So what do I have to look forward to?

Let's see, there's that thing I have done in past quitting attempts. The bit where I think I have overcome the addiction after a month or so and say that I'll test myself and have a smoke. Two things happen there. First, it tastes horrible, as it does. Ever not smoked for a few days because you had to be with people who would disapprove? Like parents? When you smoke again it doesn't taste great. Don't smoke for a month and you might even choke on it.

Secondly your brain registers the nicotine and becomes happy as fuck. I don't it is something that gets noticed right away. The bad taste overpowers it for a while. However your brain files away that nicotine hit for later. Why? Because your brain is an asshole and clearly not on your side. You never know when, it could be a week later or a month later. You may be undergoing a lot of stress and that hit will come back saying "It wasn't that bad actually. Could really use that right now". Now I am no doctor; I could be wrong about how this works. But at this point there is every chance you will pick up a cigarette and even force yourself to enjoy it because you brain does. Stupid brain.

So I am going to go ahead and not do that. Let's not be pig-headed about this. No need to test myself if I have overcome my addiction. The fact that I am not smoking should be enough testing. If I can stand in the midst of smokers, smoking away to glory, and not itch for a cigarette, I'm doing just fine. Nicotine is one of the most highly addictive substances on the planet; often all that you need is that first cigarette to get you hooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment